Monday, October 08, 2007

Nightgown too short? Add a ruffle!

About 3 (maybe even 4) years ago I made my little E a summer nightgown. It's made from some cute pink ballerina fabric, and she wears it all summer. I try to have it in and out of the wash the same day - though she does have other summer pajamas to wear when it's not available.

Well, it's really gotten too short for her. And worn out - the hem was falling down; not from the thread coming out, but from the fabric wearing through at the crease.

She really didn't want to give up her nightgown. So, yesterday we dug through the fabric stash, found some pink fabric, and added a ruffle. She'll be able to make it through the rest of the warm nights this year. Then into the keepsake clothing bag it will go.

It's amazing to me how she can keep growing up but now out. She is 8 1/2 years old and above-average height, but she still wears a size 4T dress as a top. I love it because it's long enough to cover her belly even when she plays on the monkey bars.

2 comments:

Barbara Frank said...

They get so attached to certain clothes, don't they? Especially anything made by mom.

My dd16 went through my fabric stash a few years back and pulled out all the scraps that she recognized from clothes I had made for her or her older sister. She made a quilt with them...came out so cute!

kerri @ gladoil said...

We keep certain special things for quilts too, if they are the right fabric. My girls always especially love the stuff I make for them. And there are certain types of prints too-ballarinas are important stuff! :)