Sunday, April 19, 2009

A grim realization

Yesterday I finally had to admit that I can't possibly read to my kids all the great books I want to read to them. I just don't have time; there are too many. This came to me as I handed my girl a copy of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, a gem I had read to them several years ago, and wanted to reread before going on with the rest of the author's books. But there isn't time, and if I wait till there is, they may be too old to enjoy it. So, she is on her own. (The boy may already be too old or it might not catch his interest anymore. He is now devouring Heinlein.)

I won't read the "Swallows and Amazons" books to them again, and maybe not even The Lord of the Rings. My reading aloud time has to be reserved for books they need to know, but that they can't or aren't likely to read on their own, at least not yet. Right now it's Great Expectations.

This reminded me of a day when I stared at the books in the shelves in my apartment (I must have been in my late 20s) and realized that I would never be able to read all the books I wanted to, or would want to. I just remember the despair I felt, over this lack of time. I got over it, and I'm not despairing now. But still...

People always warn against mothers wishing their children will hurry and grow up. You'll miss their baby/toddler/preschooler days! I never really miss those days. I am thrilled with each new independent step they take. I don't long for an infant. I long for more reading time with my children.

And, more reading time for myself. But, that may come. I can't imagine Heaven not having a big library. Maybe I'll even get to work in it! Though the way things are looking now, it seems more likely I'm to be laundress or cook. Still, probably we'll get reading breaks, right?

(Don't criticize my theology on this one, please.)

4 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I so completely relate to this. I thought, having my kids spaced out a lot, I'd get a second chance to read some of those fantastic books, and some we have. But others we somehow never got back to, and I am sad about that.

Sheryl said...

I've always said, so many books, so little time...

I've always welcomed the independence that comes with them getting older too.

If James likes Heinlein, he might also like the Tom Swift series. I found the first seven from the third series (they take place in outer space) at a used book sale for Steve when he was about James' age, and he loved them!

Jeanette said...

This is actually to comment on the previous post...

I have had nothing but trouble trying to get information from the Girl Scouts in our area as well. I will leave messages with no returned calls, send emails and get no response. (This is in Middle Georgia) Boy scouts? In one phone call I was given all the info I needed.

Is there any way to contact the main Girl Scout office?

Kerri said...

I know what you mean, it's bittersweet when we send them out on their own to experience a world when we just don't have time to join them. I love to join them and watch their reactions when they are reading something-or I am reading it to them.. But, in a way it's kind of like multi tasking when they can start really going out on their own-we can get their reviews of a book that maybe we're trying to get to and not getting time, and they can give their reactions to what an author has done or said.. when you get to that place it's a different kind of fun. :)