Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Peace is the word

This morning while walking the dog I found my word for the year:

Peace

I am not a peaceful person by nature.  My mother was a real worrier and that was part of her legacy to me.  One of my kids is getting it from me.  This is a good year to focus on being peaceful. (When isn't it?)

A peaceful home makes people want to be here.  We can keep it peaceful by maintaining order so we can find things (including a place to sit down and read - is your couch ever covered in clean laundry waiting to be folded?).  It's not very peaceful when I am walking around the house, muttering "Where did I put that book?" or "How many pairs of scissors do we own and why can I never find any?"  That second one is usually not muttered.

A peaceful  homeschool means we put our books and other materials way when we are finished with them.  It means we have a plan for our daily work and go through it methodically.  This leaves more time for rest and recreation during the day and does not result in a frustrated mom who says, again, "why can we never get anything done?"

A peaceful attitude means not worrying over what's coming up.  My husband is halfway through a year-long pastoral internship; in June he will need a job.  We don't know if he'll find one, or, if he does, where it will be.  We need to get ready to move.  We need to be calm as we wait.  Not easy.  I need peace.  

And I can have it.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. (John 14:27)

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)


 

3 comments:

Birdie said...

I think if we have a word for this year, it will have to be something like streamlining. That seems to be most needful in so many areas of or lives right now.

mikki roo said...

I love this, such a great word for me too. I'm such a worrier and control freak! Thanks for dropping by my blog :)

Maria said...

Great word for a new year or a new day :)