Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Special Moments; Day 5 of Home Education Week


Home Education Week at Principled Discovery Continues:

Show off those talents. Share a story, a special moment, a piece of artwork. Any accomplishment, great or small, is fair game.

Now this is getting really hard. Talents? Stories? How about special moments...

Being able to allow a sick child to crawl back into bed with a book rather than do tablework.

Watching a child's eyes light up when a new concept suddenly clicks. Even better when it's something that was hard.

Helping a little girl make a batch of teatime treats - with her own recipe.

Snuggling all together under a big blanket to read.

Having the science museum all to ourselves (almost) on a school day.

Spending an entire day reading a great book, and being able to count it as school!

Getting compliments from the ladies in the beauty salon - because of those nice quiet kids that sit in the lobby and read while mom gets a haircut.

Reading history in Starbucks.

Reading natural science books in the park.

Reading anything in the hammock.

Lots more good reading at Principled Discovery.







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our family reads alot too. We have "drop everything and read" or DEAR time a lot. I can't remember which homeschooler named them for me. I usually assign DEAR time when I need to do a boat load of laundry ~

Anonymous said...

Yea! I agree! Last autumn my ds got walking pneumonia. I loved the flexibility of cutting back on assignments, especially when I found him fast asleep from the meds with his history book in his hands. ;)
Blessings,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes......LOVE the reading!! :)
Thanks for sharing!!

Heather said...

Oh absolutely--our favorite is reading aloud outside.

Anonymous said...

Love the reading, too. And when they figure something out for themselves. That is special...

Anonymous said...

I love your list of special moments. We love to read too, although we haven't tried reading history in Starbucks - sounds like fun!

~Andrea

MyKidsMom said...

I'm not sure if it was meant to, but this list brought a tear to my eye. It's exactly how I feel; well, minus Starbucks. I don't drink coffee..which at times makes me almost feel like a freak. But that's off the subject.

I found your link at Cup of Grace and thought I'd check it out:)