Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Accomplished, smart, beautiful, happy... what's not to dislike?

Like so many others, I am spellbound by the Sarah Palin story. Sounds like an '80s mini-series starring Farrah Fawcett, doesn't it?

Anyway, I've been reading around the blogs and reading women's reactions to Sarah Palin as VP. Now I don't know much about Governor Palin, obviously, but it's been fun reading and hearing what some women have to say about her. Meow.

Let me just stop a second to point out that I have not always been a sheltered parasitic housewife. I worked for 20 years. And I worked around a lot of women: married, single, with and without kids. Even in my current nonworking state I come into contact with loads of women at the homeschool group, the soccer field, the library... and I am one of those people that women seem to want to spill their guts (and their opinions) to. I don't know why but it has always been thus. And I have always known a lot of bitter women. Women who can't stand, just cannot stand to see another woman who has something she does not have, but wants.

So I think I know some of the reason there is a negative reaction from women - not just feminist pro-choice women but women in general: jealousy and insecurity.

Governor Palin is a dream: she's smart, accomplished, tough, beautiful, and apparently happy. And happily married, at that. She's got a handsome husband. She is also supremely attractive to men because of the aforementioned attributes but also because of the things she does: she hunts! She fishes! She plays sports! She also has a real life and real problems that come with it, and it appears she handles them with grace (we'll see as time goes on). She seems to be comfortable with her faith and her ethics and values.

So you can see why women have to harp on her hairdo.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Have you ever seen anything like it? She certainly seems to have scared some people. I understand why the pro-choice group doesn't like her, but I can't quite figure out why her mere presence creates such a firestorm with everyone else. I'll ponder your thoughts.

DADvocate said...

If Obama's elected, I'm not moving to Canada. I'm moving to Alaska!!