Saturday, December 10, 2011

A book to add to your family Christmas reading

Yesterday we pulled out our box of Christmas books and CDs.  We have a nice collection of Christmas picture books that we treasure.  But they are picture books, written for children, and my children really aren't anymore.

I'm sure Eleanor and I will read The Story of Holly and Ivy together, and everyone will look through the old favorites.  Maybe we'll find some that aren't so beloved anymore and give them away; at least I hope so, as we are always trying to reduce our number of books.

But, still, I wanted a Christmas book that would appeal to these older children.  And so I found  Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus, a selection of Christmas writings, edited by Nancy Guthrie.

This is a nice little book with twenty-two short readings by authors such as Martin Luther, John Piper, Tim Keller, Charles Spurgeon... and many more, obviously.  Some are excerpts from sermons, others come from books.  I've read about a quarter of them so far.  Some have resonated with me more than others. I don't think the book is perfect.  I've shared a few of them with my kids and we'll get to more in the days ahead, though surely not all of them. Not all will be interesting to them at their ages.  I can keep some to myself for a while. 


It's a nice addition to our Christmas book box.  

As always, I'd love to know about other good Christmas books for teens. 

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oh, I really wanted that book this year and accidentally got a different one (for families). Next year, I tell myself.