Wednesday, June 17, 2009

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.

Kids lose their summer break due to impenetrable bureaucratic mess


This is just unbelievable:

A bureaucratic boondoggle in the western San Bernardino County, California school district will cost the students their summer breaks -- the schools inadvertently introduced a school-time shortfall amounting to two school days' worth of instruction time over the entire school year. Due to a quirk of regulation, they have to keep the schools in session for an extra thirty four days or lose $7 million in funding.

It has to do with minimum days and the number of classroom minutes - yes minutes - that must be accounted for. Someone miscounted minutes and 34 school days don't count. So it's 34 days of summer school for the kids of this school. Read the whole article to understand the convoluted system that produced the mistake.

My head is exploding now and I can't think of anything else to say, except that I am glad I don't have to count minutes of education time, and that my kids aren't trapped in that school for the summer - or anytime, for that matter.

via Instapundit.

2 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Yes but Im afraid that the time is coming when we will have to give account for all of that. Homeschooling is under fire here in the US bigtime!

Heres hoping we can keep our kids schooled in the way that we want them.

Sandy said...

I would be having an absolute fit if that was my kids' school and I can tell you right now that they wouldn't be attending that summer session. When are parents going to stand up?