Friday, June 01, 2007

May reading

Not a lot of reading done this month. Cleaning, packing, decluttering... ah the joys of moving. Still, I have managed to sneak in a bit:

Brick Lane by Monica Ali - story of Nazneen, a Bangladeshi immigrant to London, from her arrival as a young bride in the 1980s (arranged marriage to a much older man) to about 2002. She undergoes a lot of changes as she struggles with her marriage and with fitting in to Western culture; Nazneen is very passive for most of the story, then slowly begins to take some control of her life. The book provides an interesting view of unassimilated immigrants. 9/11 figures into the story; there is a spark of anti-West, anti-American activity but it goes nowhere. Also going nowhere are her husband's constant plans for better jobs, better education, a better life. There is an adulterous affair, that seems so inevitable it is not shocking. This book interested me but the characters also frustrated me greatly. I can't think of one with whom I really related or empathized.

Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It by Gabor Mate: A fascinating book about ADD. This book took a long time to read and absorb. Nodded my head on nearly every page. Saw myself, my whole family in various places. Saw lots of mistakes I make with my kids. A reminder that it's all about relationships! I'd like to buy this book as I think I'd refer to it again.

Started When Crickets Cry which looks interesting but I returned it to the library. I really don't have time for fiction right now! Also have been dabbling in The Duty of Self-Denial by Thomas Watson.

Did a lot of reading with the kids and will write about that tomorrow.

No comments: