Thursday, January 01, 2009

I can't seem to shut up.

When one has a venue in which to "publish," pontificate, rant, etc., it's hard to let it go. So I'm back already.

I'm living the January 1 cliche right now - it's a new year, time to reflect, regroup, plan, set goals...

This blog has "schoolhouse" in the name but since the run-up to the election I don't think I've blogged - or thought? - a whole lot about homeschooling. I guess I could go read some archives and see. I've enjoyed reading other bloggers' "recaps" of their year in blog posts. Would that be too boring if I did that here, my two remaining readers? Rhetorical question, I don't really want an answer.

Since one of my goals this year is to cultivate mindfulness - actually it's my only goal because it encompasses everything - I am trying to put more thought into our school days rather than just go along in the books, chapter by chapter. I'm going to separate the kids' work more. What was I thinking when I figured an 11 year old boy would want to do an in-depth reading of the "Little House" series? Well, it was OK when we started a year ago. But here we are, reading By the Shores of Silver Lake, and he's bored. So my girlie will continue with that, and he will move on. Yesterday I read and made up a "study guide" for The Winged Watchman, an exciting books set in the Netherlands during the Nazi occupation. That should hold his interest better than Laura's struggles with mean Nellie.

In other words, maybe this will become a homeschooling blog again.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Welcome back. Addictive, isn't it?

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I know what you're saying. Every week when I get the reminder that it's time to submit a post for the Carnival of Homeschooling, I realize that I haven't posted anything about homeschooling in weeks. I absolutely need to be more mindful of our schooling.

Next week.

G said...

I too am trying to be more mindful of homeschooling. More organized with it, and more thoughtful about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading more about your homeschooling. My next email to you was going to include questions about what you've been planning these last 2 days.
V.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, maybe I've been homeschooling for too long but I really enjoy some of the non homeschooly type of posts!

The biggest part of home based learning is LIFE- all its spice and variety and appearances...I haven't blogged about hsing stuff, for ages, unless directly asked. It just isn't at the forefront of my mind anymore. Life is!

I guess this goes to show that you still have more than 2 readers. ;)