Saturday, January 03, 2009

If you're tired of reading book lists...

hang out here! I don't have any.

Wow, I envy the people with the extensive book lists. Smallworld Reads sure does - 59 books this year! Color me green with envy. (I mean that. That is not a snarky comment.) And there promises to be many many more at the Saturday Review of Books special list edition today.

Let's see... I can remember reading 5 or 6 novels, a boatload of learning disability books, some books of the Bible, a snippet of a few church history books... do you know how hard it is to read Augustine's Confessions at night when you're falling asleep in your tea?

Of course I don't count the books I read aloud to the kids, even though some of those were fabulous. Or the books I preread for them, even though there have been some good ones there too.

I just went back and looked and I have precious few posts with the tag "books" and have written very few "reviews." I did find that I signed up for a reading challenge but did pretty poorly on that.

I think I would like to change that this year.

But no lists for now, just a few recommendations. No links, because... you know how to find them.

Journey to the River Sea and The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson, two great kids' (8 - 12ish) books.

A Thread of Grace and Voyage of the Narwhal, two great adult books.

The Mislabeled Child, about learning disabilities.

Praying Backwards, by Bryan Chapell, about, you know, prayer.

If you do like book lists, come by this time next year, maybe I'll have one then.

2 comments:

Paper Dali said...

2007, I had a booklist and even notes about the books itself to help me remember what I had learned from them.

Then 2008 happened.

Well, maybe I'll do better this year! I think I'll add that to my blog ... a "books" label.

Now, I just have to start reading something. I'm a voracious reader, but lousy at tracking it. It'll be interesting to see where the road of reading takes me this year ...

Paper Dali said...

p.s. Have I delurked here? LOL Do you know that I read your blog regularly?