Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History class today

Of course we watched the Inauguration.

I was disgusted upon hearing people booing outgoing President George W. Bush when he walked in. What classless fools. Didn't they get the memo that the Dalai Lama loves George Bush? At least the newscasters tsk-tsk'd about it. Was this before or after one of them said breathlessly "This is really happening!"

I liked Rev. Warren's prayer and was amazed that he actually invoked Jesus' name. I was just not expecting a Christian prayer.

Aretha sounded pretty good, but old, eh? My girl marveled at her hat.

According to my clock, the new President is late taking the oath of office - as required by the Constitution. I guess the show is more important? Does this bode ill for this Presidency? The music is nice. But, it would be nicer if they'd start things off properly. For all I know, no inauguration has ever happened right on the minute.

My boy enjoys the 21-gun salute.

I still can't buy the word "humble" from him.

Ooh, some claps when he thanked President Bush.

"The way we use energy strengthens our enemies..." - why don't we use some of our own while scientist work on new technology?

"The time has come to set aside childish things..." like "The Pledge?" Or booing outgoing Presidents?

"Pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off?"

Nasty attitude toward George Bush, et. al.: "ready to lead again," "choosing hope over fear."

"Roll back the specter of a warming planet?"

"We can no longer ignore suffering outside our borders?" Do we do that now? I don't think so.

This moment will define our generation? It's a big moment. But, really, can we get over this and get on with business?

Time to turn off the tv - the kids are giggling over the poem. Where is the meter?

Update re: the close of the prayer:

I humbly ask this in the name of the one who changed my life, Yeshua, Isa, Jesus [Spanish pronunciation], Jesus, who taught us to pray:

“Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Here is a transcript. Some interesting comments, too, at the site.








1 comment:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I thought the poem was fantastic. I love how she expounded upon and echoed Whitman and Hughes in their famous "America" poems.

And DID Warren invoke the name of Jesus? I missed most of it, but I thought he was going to pray "in Jesus name, Amen." He didn't do that for sure.