Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Personalizing the Weather Underground

Because history really is important.

From "Fire in the Night," in City Journal:

Early on the morning of February 21, as my family slept, three gasoline-filled firebombs exploded at our home on the northern tip of Manhattan, two at the front door and the third tucked neatly under the gas tank of the family car. (Today, of course, we’d call that a car bomb.) A neighbor heard the first two blasts and, with the remains of a snowman I had built a few days earlier, managed to douse the flames beneath the car. That was an act whose courage I fully appreciated only as an adult, an act that doubtless saved multiple lives that night.

--------------

Though no one was ever caught or tried for the attempt on my family’s life, there was never any doubt who was behind it. Only a few weeks after the attack, the New York contingent of the Weathermen blew themselves up making more bombs in a Greenwich Village townhouse. The same cell had bombed my house, writes Ron Jacobs in
The Way the Wind Blew: A History of the Weather Underground. And in late November that year, a letter to the Associated Press signed by Bernardine Dohrn, Ayers’s wife, promised more bombings.

Oh, found at Instapundit, natch.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

His candidacy proves, to me, that people only see what they choose to see. The same way we could have all predicted Clinton's affair in office, we can all, who choose to see it, predict...well, I guess none of us want to come right out and say it, do we? Because we hope that we are horribly, horribly wrong and that September 11 will remain the worst day in American history.

DADvocate said...

I read the article too. I'm not so old or forgetful to not be able to remember how traumatic such an event can be at that age. That Ayers and his cronies would endanger innocent children is horrid. Obama's soft stance and record of association with Ayers is reprehensible.

Marbel said...

I don't know why some people find this so hard to understand. It worries me that people think "oh well, that happened a long time ago so who cares."

kerri @ gladoil said...

Yiyiyi.
I have a McCain sign in my yard. I've only seen a couple here in Oregon so far and the Obama stickers are everywhere. I think the whole world has gone insane.

You know I wasn't all that for McCain in the primaries, but I had to show somehow that I wan't joining in on this love fest!