Thursday, July 08, 2010

Portfolio pickup

This morning I ran over to the school district to pick up my kids' portfolios. The "homeschool liaison" for the district had called to say she'd finished her review, though had not completed her "approval" letter yet.

When I got there, she wasn't in but the secretary invited me to look through a box of portfolios to see if mine were there. Apparently there were some in another room as well. Mine were easy to spot in the box, though: they were the only ones not in 3, 4, or even 5-inch binders. (I use 1.5-inch binders, only because I'm afraid 1-inch would get lost.) Some of them were so heavy they took 2 hands to pick up!

When I expressed some amazement the secretary said, "don't be nervous; she didn't say anything was wrong with yours." Then, lowering her voice a little, she went on, "actually, she said some of them were a little overkill."

Minimal compliance, people! Don't treat the school district as an adversary, but don't give them more than they require! The more you give, the more they will ask for.

Now, on to the new year.

No comments: