Friday, May 09, 2008

Literary confession

We just started The Prince and the Pauper as our "pleasure book" which is my kids' term for a family read-aloud not associated with schooltime. I'd never read it before, though am quite familiar with the story, as are the kids. (Jim Weiss has a fun retelling.) I think my girl had some exposure to Barbie's version too. But that's not the confession.

I don't like it. I am not enjoying reading it. I don't know why. Mark Twain is someone we're supposed to like, no, love, and get a lot out of. I know there is good social commentary to be had from this book. But I just want to get through it because the kids are enjoying it and I don't want them to know that I'm not.

I feel better now.

1 comment:

Suni said...

I prefer the disney/mickey version myself!