Saturday, August 18, 2007

It's not your mother's pop culture

So what's wrong with being immersed in popular culture anyway? I was a child of tv and Disney movies and pop/rock music and I turned out OK, right? So why shouldn't my children partake of that culture too? Here are a few things:

1. Opie doesn't live in Mayberry anymore. TV is just not so innocent.

2. Licensed merchandise. I think at one point in my life I had a Barbie lunchbox. (But I never had a Barbie, go figure that one. I had a Tammy, a cheaper and less voluptuous doll.) There wasn't the vast variety of tv-related stuff that there is today.

3. The worst rock-n-roll lyrics of my day were the scandalous "Let's spend the night together" which, really, meant nothing to me at the time. Maybe there were others that went over my head, but I don't think so. Music is much more blatant now - forget about innuendo, it's all right out there. And how about Elvis's moves? Nothing compared to the crotch-thrusting we see today.

4. Mush brain. Really, it is so hard for me to discipline my mind - to study, to analyze, to read something... hard. I can't think of a better word. See? But I could sing you the themes to The Beverly Hillbillies or Gilligan's Island right now.

I blame my parents. No, not really. That's another part of pop culture I hate too. Blame. It's anyone's fault but mine.

No comments: