Tuesday, October 19, 2010

NaNoWriMo: Gearing Up

The kids and I are officially signed up now.  We all came up with user names, read all the FAQs, and browsed around the sites a bit.  They chose the length of their novels (50,000 words is not required for the Young Writers Program), and we all have a general idea of our stories.  I'm sure they'll change a lot over the month.

I have been thinking about the logistics of this project.  How will we fit in writing every single day?  How will the three of us manage with just the one computer?  The boy plans to write by hand - somehow after years of struggling he's found he's pretty quick at it, and it no longer hurts - but at some point it'll have to be typed up. And there will be a lot of spelling to be corrected, but I don't want to think about that right now.

I saw Barbara Frank's post about the Alphasmart Neo portable keyboard and did some exploring online. I have a similar product by the same manufacturer (ordered used on Ebay) coming my way and I can't wait to see it.  That will give us two keyboards, and if it's as super fab as it looks, maybe we'll get another.

Oh, my user name is Mrs. Blackberry, if you are NaNoing and want to get in touch there. Thanks for the messages of support about that.  That name has nothing to do with the well-known mobile device, by the way.  It has to do with the fruit.   And nothing to do with my book, so far at least.  Hmmmm......

Come on, November!  We're ready for you.  I think.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Any idea what you are going to write? It will fun to follow along. I hope you are to "written out" and will post updates on how it is going. :D

Marbel said...

I'm sure I will be blogging about it constantly, more than anyone will want to read.

So far my plan is a story based on my kids' imaginary friends, Dommie and Eric. These kids were an important part of our lives for a few years and we still have fond memories of them. I think they will be young teen siblings. So there will be a biographical element to it too.

Or I could just change my mind altogether and do something else. I really have no clue how to write fiction.

Marbel said...

Oh, I should be clear that Dommie and Eric are from the past, when my kids were younger. I wouldn't want anyone to think my sophisticated teen and preteen still have imaginary pals. LOL.

Kerri said...

Oh, I think it will be really fun. Though I'm glad it's you and not me!! bwahahahah

sorry.

No, really, I can feel that feeling of *sigh* am I up to this? and yet the kids wanting you-hey be happy-my little boys are trying to talk me into learning how to play Halo. :)

Remember, Winnie the Pooh and Raggedy Ann were written to indulge children-who knows what can happen?

And I'll indulge reading your writing if you'll indulge my scribbles. :)