Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The "Abercrombie and Fitch Emergency Room"?

Sounds ludicrous, doesn't it? From cnn.com this morning:

A children's advocacy group wants to keep a children's hospital from putting clothing retailer Abercrombie & Fitch's name on a new emergency room.

Because they sell icky clothes and have icky advertising. I am not a fan of A&F myself. But, you know, anytime people give money to something, it's common practice to put the name up somewhere in honor of the donation. The bigger the $, the bigger the sign with the name.

Still, I am often reminded of this:

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

"Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:1-4

I wonder how many companies give in secret. I wonder if A&F will turn out to be one of them.

3 comments:

kerri @ gladoil said...

Interesting.

I don't know if I have an opinion, I can certainly see both sides. But it is encouraging that it isn't just "the right wing conservatives" that have a problem with A&F'S ads.

Anonymous said...

Advertising, WA, advertising. Something that you loathe, but for A&F, it's a great way to steer parents away from the "icky" perception. Next time you're in a mall, shopping for lil' Jimbo, you may remember that A&F donated money to a worthy cause and think, "well, maybe an overpriced t-shirt isn't all that icky."

This isn't too indifferent from when people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet donate money — it's all over the press. The one difference, however, is they probably actually care.

Marbel said...

Kerri - I am not sure I care one way or another either. I'd go to the ER if I needed to; who cares who paid for it?

Edward - You think I go to the mall?!

But you know, I've been annoyed by corporate names on everything ever since the Giants moved from Candlestick to PacBell Park...