Monday, March 03, 2008

Are women bigger liars than men?

Dr. Helen has a post up about women and lying this morning. I'm sure this one will generate a lot of comments. Dr. Helen's is the liveliest blog I know of - her provocative posts start a lot of discussion in the comments section.

Dr. Helen links to this New York Post article about a book that "proves" women lie more than men. Huh. The survey was conducted via a Craigslist post looking for women to talk about their lying. But even if this was a good way to conduct a survey, there is no equivalent survey of men. I mentioned this to my kids this morning and the first question was: "Did they interview 500 men too?" Bingo! That led to a discussion of surveying methods. I think I can log "logic" in my homeschooling record book today. Anyway, it's really a silly article and seems to be just something to stir up trouble between men and women.

My favorite "lie" is this one:

50 percent harbor "mixed feelings about mothering." One told Barash, "I look at these children and I crave sleep and free time. They wear me out and make me jealous of working women who have no children, no husbands."

What's dishonest about that? That's actually being honest about feelings. I love my children but there have been times I craved sleep and free time. The other night one of my kids and I were up from about 2 am - 4 am. Yeah, you bet I was craving some sleep. I am pretty sure my kid knew it too.

No comments: