Sunday, August 22, 2010

Menu Plan Monday: August 23



It's another wild week here so meals are going to be simple. May I just say I am really looking forward to cooler weather? We are not hot weather food people. Everyone is missing soups, stews, risotto, chili... tired of grilled food and other meals designed not to heat up the kitchen.

We stuck pretty well to the meal plan last week; I did swap a few things around but we ate the things I'd planned to. Last week I thought I would add lunches into the plan but I did not. We are all working at our church Vacation Bible School next week so lunch will either be sandwiches or the McDonald's down the block from the church.

Monday: Tuna casserole. This is no one's real favorite but we like it well enough, and it's good to have on a day when I don't have time for something long-cooking. We will be out of the house most of the day so I need something fast. We'll have either cauliflower, broccoli, or salad with this.

Tuesday: Corned beef, potatoes, carrots. A winter dish, to be sure, but one my boy has been craving and asking for. I don't have cabbage but no one will really miss it but me. This meat has been in my freezer since March when this cut goes on sale. So it's time to defrost it anyway.

Wednesday: Greek Chicken - just baked chicken parts with olive oil, garlic, oregano, and lemon juice - along with some sort of vegetable, hummus and pita bread.

Thursday: Grilled salmon if I get to Trader Joe's before then. We really like the wild salmon they keep in their freezer section. But that store is hard to get to, so we haven't had it in a while. I'll try to stock up.

Friday: Pizza. Possibly homemade; more likely a take-and-bake from Walmart or Aldi.

Saturday: Out at a picnic. I don't know what I'm supposed to contribute yet. I hope it's dessert.

Sunday: I don't usually plan for Sunday. I try to get the kids to eat a lot of snacks at church so we can skip lunch and just have a large-ish early dinner. I like the idea of a rather formal Sunday meal but most often it turns into leftover extravaganza. We go to church both morning and evening, so the day is a little compressed for a large meal that entails a lot of work. I don't love doing the roast-in-the-crockpot thing. If I have one in the freezer, or find a good deal this week, I might do a pork tenderloin with mustard sauce.

I just realized I don't have a meatless meal this week. Oh well, better luck next time. Or, if I don't make it to Trader Joe's for salmon, I'll just make pasta with a simple tomato sauce.

Find more menu inspiration at Menu Plan Monday, hosted by Laura at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

1 comment:

LJS said...

I feel exactly the same way about being tired of summer foods. In the NorthEast we have been experiencing cool, rainy weather and for my girl's birthday dinner I roasted two chickens, made mashed potatoes and gravy, with roasted asparagus and green beans. Real comfort food. It made me happy!