Monday, September 13, 2010

Menu Plan Monday: September 13



It's another week for easy, quick meals for dinner.  I am anxiously awaiting cold weather so I can start making soups, stews, chili...  all those things my family really likes to eat. 

Well, we do like to grill.  Last week's plan to brine and then grill some  chicken worked out really well.  I think I will always try to brine my chicken before cooking it.  It really made grilled chicken breasts so much better.   Brining instructions are all over the place; try it out!

Now to this week:

Monday:  Chicken enchiladas, refried beans, coleslaw.  The recipe is called Post-Thanksgiving Turkey Enchiladas; I cut it out of the San Francisco Chronicle years ago.  Their description:  “Quick, simple, mindless.  The perfect antidote to the hustle-bustle of Thanksgiving.”  It also suits the hustle-bustle of our lives right now.  I happen to have some cooked chicken so I'm substituting.   

Corn Oil
8 Corn Tortillas
3 Cups Chopped Roasted Turkey Meat
2 Cups Purchased Green Salsa With Tomatillos
1/3 Cup Sour Cream
3/4 Cup Grated Monterey Jack Cheese (or Pepper Jack if you like it a little hotter)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brush a nonstick frying pan with a light film of oil and place over medium heat. When hot, fry the tortillas, one at a time, until just speckled with brown and softened on both sides (do not let them get crisp); transfer
to a plate.  Brush the pan with more oil as needed.

Stir together the turkey, 1 1/2 cups of salsa, and the sour cream.  Spoon equal amounts of this mixture down the center of the prepared tortillas, fold the sides of the tortillas over the filling, then place seam side down
in a baking dish.  Spoon the remaining salsa in a band across the enchiladas.  Sprinkle with the cheese. Cover tightly with foil.  

Bake for 15 – 20 minutres, until the enchiladas are heated through and the cheese is melted.  (I usually let them cook uncovered for a couple minutes to let the cheese get a little brown.)  Serves 3 or 4.

Tuesday: grilled dinner - salmonburgers, hamburgers, sausages... potatoes, green salad.

Wednesday:  Some sort of pasta.  No meat!  My family loves meat but we have to do without more often.  I would like to get to 2-3 meatless dinners a week but I think the 13-year-old boy might run away.

Thursday:  Pork tenderloin.  Grilled?  Pan-roasted?  Sliced and cooked in mustard sauce?  Or caper sauce?  Unlikely; I keep forgetting to buy capers.

Friday:  Pizza.

Saturday:  Uncertain.  There is a Renaissance Faire I'd like to go to; there might be food there!

Sunday:  roast chicken with the typical sides.

Have a great week of cooking; find some inspiration (or post your own) at Menu Plan Monday. 


No comments: